I also have another project that I’m in the middle of, a very tiny model set of tanks, armored cars and trucks.
This is a 1/144 scale model set of WWII American vehicles, it includes two trucks, two tanks and two armored cars.
I can’t get very good closeups because my camera will not focus, but as you can see the models are very small. I really enjoy building these small models because it take less time to build them which means I can get to painting and weathering more quickly. My favorite part! The tank is a M4A2 Sherman, the armored car is a M8 greyhound and the truck is a 6 ton 6×6 that was made by a number of different companies.
The Sherman has a winter “white wash” camouflage over the ordinary olive drab.
I when I get the rest of these small models built I plan on making a small diorama with them.
I know I haven’t done a blog post in a really long time. I also haven’t worked on many model tanks either. But now I’m getting back into it and I have started some new projects.
First, is the half done Tiger II kit that I started. This model has been sitting on my desk half finished for quite a while, but I plan on soon getting back to building it. This kit is a Zvezda 1/35 scale model of the Tiger II or “King Tiger” with the later production Henschel turret.
My camera doesn’t take very good close ups, but as you can see I still have a lot of work ahead of me!
A while back I mentioned wanting to build a diorama for my Abrams, I’ve finally done it!
To start I used a thin piece of plywood for the base. Next I spread a layer of clear drying school glue down on the plywood base. Then I sprinkled sand over the top of the glue. To fix the sand in place firmly, I mixed water and school glue in a spray bottle and then soaked the sand with the mixture. Once the sand was dry I figured out the placement of the rocks and the tank and then glued them down.
The barbed wire fence and the spilled oil drum, were last minute details that I decided to add because it just didn’t look right with only a tank and a few rocks!
This post is on my latest project, my M1A1 Abrams. I have been working on this model for a while, and I am now finished! Here are some specs:
- Kit Brand: Academy.
- Model Scale: 1/35.
- Model Of: M1A1 Abrams.
Over all this has been a very nice kit to build, all the pieces went together well and look good. Detail on this kit is also very good, except I noticed there are a lot of ejector pin marks.
Here are a few pics.
I used Model Master spray paint for the base color of “Desert Sand.” To weather the tank I used Vallejo acrylics and washes.
I found out the hard way that the decals for this model are a little delicate. I ruined the main decals for the turret and the “WarPig” decal for the barrel, so I used a sharpie marker for the square like markings on the turret, and I hand painted the “WarPig” on the barrel.
The kit came with two marking options. A US Army or US Marine tank, both of which served in Iraq 2003. I chose the Marine markings. I also want to make a diorama or a cool base for this model sometime soon.
In this last picture you can see how I flowed washes into the engine screens to make the detail pop out!
Well I’ve finally gotten around to taking some pictures of my finished Tiger model, enjoy!
I also took a picture of it in the snow.
I weathered the tank with pretty much the same stuff that I used on my other two models. A weathering set for meant for green colored vehicles like my M26 and Sherman. Although it worked just fine for grey ones too! It was just some dark brown acrylic paint that I dry- bushed on the model, and some pigments to get some mud on the tank. I also dry-brushed some lighter buff colored paint on the tank.
My latest build is a Tiger tank model from the Italeri World of Tanks line.
Just like the the Sherman that I built, this tank is a tank from the game World of Tanks. I am not finished with the tank yet, but I have put about ten hours of work into it. Here’s what it looks like so far.
Unlike my M26 Pershing and my Sherman, this kit comes with tracks that you have to build. There are twelve individual links at the front of the tracks and twenty one at the rear. For the middle section there are long sections of track so you don’t have to build the whole length of the tracks.
After the tracks were done I started building the upper hull. After the main hull was built I started working on the fenders of the tank. Normally they are individual fenders, but in this kit they molded them as one piece. I cut them apart so I could make them look a little war torn and beat up. I did this by heating them up with a hairdrier and bending them with a pliers. After that was done I glued them on the tank.
I know the quality of the pictures isn’t very good, but hopefully you can see that the fenders have some dings and dents in them!